Tuesday, December 1, 2015

#GivingTuesday

As most of you know, it's #GivingTuesday. I am starting my fundraising campaign for The Samfund, which I think you all know is very near and dear to me.

I think you all know my story, so I don't want to bore you. I just want to touch lightly upon what I'm thankful for in my life, and why this organization is so important to me.

Cancer just plain sucks, but I'm thankful to be healthy. I've dealt with a lot of loss recently- and many unfortunate diagnoses among my friends and family within this past year. It's been really hard for me-being on this side.

I was forced to grow up fast when I was diagnosed, and that taught me to be thankful for every day. Last night I looked at my daughters and said to them that we're going to have ice cream sundaes. Tomorrow is never guaranteed, so I try to celebrate each and every day, and appreciate all of the things I have in life. I probably wouldn't be on the path that I am on right now if it wasn't for The Samfund. I am so thankful to have my Samfund family in my life- and that is why I choose them for my #GivingTuesday post :)

I will get back on point though, and tell you that I am thankful for The Samfund. I received my grant over 7 years ago (wow!), but my appreciation continues to grow every day. When I was at our Chicago fundraiser just two months ago, I got to hear stories from new alums who I had just met. I cherish all of the stories that have been shared with me- and makes me so proud of what I do for The Samfund. The grant changed my life, but the organization continues to humble me. That is why I am choosing to do this- because they just mean so much to me.

To quote a blog post I did for the Huffington Post a while back,

"Looking back, as hard as it was, between the weekly treatments, the painful shots, the hair-loss, and constant worry, I ended up growing more than I ever thought I would. Going through something so bad ended up bringing me something so good. It hasn't been easy, but I found my silver lining. The people I've met will be in my life forever, and the imprint The SAMFund has left on me has shaped who I am today. We all grow from our experiences. I became a different person. When life threw me cancer, I had no choice but to take every negative thought and throw it out. I put myself out there, found somewhere that I belonged, found somewhere that made me feel complete. I found my niche in life, and I couldn't be more proud of who I've become."

If it's not super obvious right now, I'm very passionate about The Samfund. I love giving to them- whether it be through donations, or having a fundraising event, or an online campaign- I want to give back. I know exactly how the young adults feel when they get that phone call. I want to be able to help give that to someone else- and I know exactly where the funds go that I am helping raise.

So, I am asking you to consider donating to my campaign. Every penny helps, no donation is too small. You can access my page by clicking here. I want to thank everyone who has donated in the past and supported everything that I do with The Samfund. Let's make this #GivingTuesday count!

PS-- every dollar raised through TODAY will be matched, up to $25,000! How amazing is that? Your donation will essentially be doubled. I think that is so great :)
Love xoxo

-k

No comments:

Post a Comment